Uncategorized

Ted Youngkin is dead, loss of a great man and ACCD teacher

Hi friends,

Ted Youngkin died yesterday (a recent photo: in his home working). The hard teacher, the one always said the truth on your face, some time rude, but very honest. Clear and highly professional in teaching Drawing and Design in ACCD Pasadena .

I had Ted as teacher in 1986 and, even if not of an easy person, he gave me the right vision of how a designer should be structured on his Drawing and Design method. He looked severe , but he was a real good man, he gave us lessons about Drawing and about life, his stories were small examples of real life professional situations and helped us to understand what would have been life after ACCD school time.
When I started to teach in design schools often I would think of him and his method, often I would try to apply his method in my classes.
Ted was very devoted and engaged to ACCD to ensure a high level of quality education, a hard worker that the american Design Education will sure miss a lot.

From Fred Fehlau Dean, Academic Affairs ACCD

“One of Art Center’s most highly revered, and sometimes feared, instructors. Born in Hawarden, Iowa, Ted first studied at the Chicago Art Institute and then graduated with a degree in Product Design from Art Center in 1954. “

From James Gourney Illustrator (ACCD)
“On the way up Highway 101 yesterday, we decided on a whim to try and visit Ted Youngkin, our favorite art teacher, who taught us everything we know about perspective (and a lot more that we’ve forgotten). I think of him every time I do a drawing.”Read the full story “Ted Youngkin in Perspective” written by James clicking herePhoto via http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/

You Might Also Like

• greg brew
    December 17, 2008 at 3:48 pm

Often when I was teaching at Art Center – particularly when I was teaching drawing – I would think of Ted and of the big shoes I was trying to fill by standing in front of an Art Center class. I know he affected and guided the way I taught – his honesty and straight forward manner were a model for how I hoped to teach.

Today I remember how honored I used to feel when he selected several pieces of my work as examples – until he mentioned they could be examples of what NOT to do! His class taught me that in order to reach the highest standards one try at an assignment was not enough, I would do 5 drawings for each one I submitted and my technique improved under his guidance.
    He will be missed by me and many others.

• Luciano Bove
    December 17, 2008 at 4:48 pm

Greg,
    thanks for your comment.

• James Gurney
    December 17, 2008 at 5:49 pm

I’m sure that Mr. Youngkin would have appreciated this wonderful tribute. He touched many lives with his excellent teaching.

• Luciano Bove
    December 17, 2008 at 6:58 pm

James,
    I hope that people will go read your post about Ted on your blog.
    Thanks.

• Jason Ho
    December 18, 2008 at 10:24 pm

luciano,

I typed my reply on your previous
    post.

• Heidi Youngkin
    December 29, 2008 at 3:53 pm

All,

I just want to thank those who have been publishing their rememberances of my father. He does inspire some great stories! My father was passionate about his work, and dedicated to developing the talent of his students. Seeing him live on through your memories and stories helps our family through this difficult time.

Heidi Youngkin

• Fulvio
    February 16, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Luciano, I am kind of late but I wanted to thank you for telling us about Ted Youngkin. He was indeed an excellent, demanding and inspiring teacher.
    Ciao

• david
    September 12, 2009 at 3:30 pm

I studied with Ted in 1973. I would never look at blotter paper the same way or perspective for that matter. I could not believe what he made us do – with blotter paper you can't go back. When you put those marker lines down you had to know what you were doing. I remember many hours working with Ted as we reworked my drawings. I can still smell the felt markers. His perspective drawing classes taught me to get my act together before going on the road in life and on the drawing board. I went on to be the in-house designer for Studio 54 in NYC then an event designer for corporate America and today an executive and life coach.
    Thanks Ted for your coaching/life and design lessons.

David Lees
    Advertising/Package Design ’76
    The Illumination Group
    New York City

david@theilluminationgroup.com

• By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information